Thursday, June 24, 2010

Kona-day 8 Final Chapter-To Eternity and Beyond...Again"



With our trusty 4 wheel drive we were ready to attempt the climb once again up to Mauna Kea. But first, we had to read the instructions on how to engage the 4 wheel drive! Once that was figured out and we had waited the allotted 30 minutes at the visitor's center-we were on our way up the bumpiest road I have ever been on in my life!

Fortunately, at the 4.5 mile marker the road became paved. We think they don't pave the whole road 'cause they really don't want to encourage people to come up since it really is scientific research they are doing up there. When we arrived there were about 15 vehicles up there and people were milling around in their ski parkas, hats, gloves, with cameras around their necks. I didn't get out of the car because I was just glad I made it up and it was cold (though I have been in colder places-Rexburg). I was seeing a lot of spots which made me a little nervous. But your dad got out and took quite a few pictures. I feel bad because I didn't even think of taking any of him until we were down the mountain but he was up there.

Two of the eleven telescopes up top.

Beginning of the sunset-Very bright on the eyes.

Tim wanted to make sure he had gone as far as you could go so he drove around to the farthest telescope and took a picture of it as it was turning around to face another position. The wind was really blowing on this side. After he got in the car, he gave me the camera which was very cold and he was only out there for about 3 minutes.

The ride down was just as bumpy. We had to keep our lights off until we had gotten to a certain point on the mountain so that the lights would not disturb the telescopes' views. Your dad went as fast as he could safely down the mountain so that I could use the facilities at the visitors center. I don't know what is worse - going slowly so that the bumps won't be as horrible or going fast so that you can make it to the facilities before there isn't a reason to use them.

We started out our day by picking up our rental jeep at 10:35 am and returned it a 9:35 that night. We were gone 11 hours and only drove 248 miles. There was so much to see which made for a very long day. Thursday and Friday are going to be relaxing, staying on the lanai reading days.

No comments:

Post a Comment