Sunday, June 10, 2012

A day of rest in paradise-Kona day 4

You're probably wondering how we can rest anymore than we have been but jetlag has been a killer for me; my body still thinks I'm on West Coast time and by 8pm (Hawaii time), I'm yawning up a storm and can barely keep my eyes open but I force myself to stay awake until 10pm. And in the morning I'm up with some dumb rooster at 4am!  I'll probably get used to the time change just when it will be time to go home.

Today we had breakfast at one of our favorite restaurants on this island - Pa'huia at the Four Seasons.  It is also one of the most expensive breakfasts I have ever had so thank goodness we don't come here everyday.  Tim and I have different reasons as to why it is our favorite: his is because of the granola and mine is because of the view. I, unfortunately, don't have a picture of the granola (though he was able to get the recipe. I wonder if this means we won't be coming here any more? nahhh)
But I do have a picture of the view from our table and of the restaurant itself.




We then went to the Kona 2nd ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for sacrament meeting (worship meeting).  We noticed when we walked in that a lot of their youth were wearing pioneer clothing.  Apparently, the youth in their stake (made up of many congregations) had just come home (the night before) from a 6 day pioneer handcart trek to honor the Mormon pioneers who crossed the plains. The youth were divided into "families" (most with people they didn't know) with a "ma" and "pa" and older or younger siblings. Then each family was either given a handcart to push or pull or some had to carry their items just like the pioneers did.

The speakers for the meeting were all of the youth from the ward. (In Hawaii, when a speaker gets up to speak at the pulpit, the person says, "Aloha" and the congregation answers back, "Aloha"; unless, you are from Tonga and then you say "Talofa".)  All the youth, who participated in the trek, got up and told us about their experiences and their message was clear: families are important and the power of prayer is real.  Tim and I really enjoyed the meeting.

And now we are back, sitting on our lanai enjoying the trade winds and planning our activities for the rest of the week.  Aloha




No comments:

Post a Comment